This unusual caboose was originally built as a 40-ton Class B-2 boxcar, probably by the Bettendorf Company of Iowa in 1915, for the CRI & P Railroad. It was modified into a caboose in 1940’s by the Rock Island Railroad. To make the change, the center section was cut out, end platforms were added, and a steel cupola was mounted of the roof. The car served until cabooses were no longer used by the railroad.
Eventually, this caboose was donated to the ORM by the Kilpatrick family. Restoration, started in about 2010, was funded in part by the National Railway Historical Society with a Railway Heritage Grant.