Freight Cars

BOXCARS

CONX 50001 - Santa Fe 7176 - Boxcar

The ORM has three "auto boxcars": CONX 50001, CONX 50014, and CONEX 50020. They were originally built in 1928 by the General American Transportation Corporation, Class FE-S, with wood bodies, and steel underframes and ends. CONX 50001 and 50014 were rebuilt in 1940 at Topeka, KS, as FE-22s with road numbers ATSF 7176 and ATSF 7020. Two hundred cars were constructed with numbers 7000 - 7199. All three auto boxcars were operated by the ATSF (Santa Fe) RR which used them to transport Crossly automobiles. Eventually, the cars were transferred to the Continental Oil Company (CONOCO) which used the end-loading capabilities for grease drums, etc. The last car of the class was retired in 1973. The cars were donated to the ORM by the Continental Oil Company.

CONX 50014 - Santa Fe 7020 - Boxcar

CONX 50014, sister to CONX 50001, was built in 1928 by the General American Transportation Corporation as Class FE-S with a wood body and steel underframe and ends. It was rebuilt in 1940 in Topeka, KS, as a Class FE-22. Operated by the Santa Fe RR, it carried a road number of ATSF 7020, and was used to transport automobiles. When acquired by the Continental Oil Company, the end-loading capability was used to handle oil drums and other petroleum products. The last car in this series was retired in 1973. Donated to the Museum by the Continental Oil Company.

CONX 50020 - Sante Fe 6919 - Boxcar

One of three "auto boxcars" at the ORM, this car was originally built in 1928 as a Class FE-S by the General American Transportation Corporation. It was rebuilt at Topeka, KS, in 1941 as a Class FE-23 with a road number ATSF 6919. Two hundred forty nine cars were constructed with numbers 6750-6999. Both the FE-22 and FE-23 class cars had a capacity of 50 tons. The major difference as-built was the FE-22 class had a 1" interior wood lining, and the FE-23 class had a 13/16" interior wood lining. The capacity for the FE-22 was 4927 cuft., and the FE-23 had 4949 cuft. Both classes of cars were used to transport autos, trucks, farm equipment and heavy machinery. Some of the cars in both classes were modified to carry aircraft parts and assemblies. The as-built Santa Fe paint job on both classes of cars was: sides, ends, trucks and underframe - mineral brown; roof - anti slip matte black; lettering and stenciling - white. All the cars received the large system map to the right of the double doors on the right side of the car with the slogan, "Ship Santa Fe All The Way." The left side of the cars to the right of the double doors received one of four name train slogans: Scout, El Capitan, Super Chief, or Chief. The paint scheme changed many times over the years, and there are too many to mention. Half of the FE-S class was leased to the New York Central RR between 1938 and 1939. They painted over the ATSF with NYC and painted out the Santa Fe on the herald. Otherwise, they were not changed. Previous owners: The Santa Fe RR used the cars for transport of Crossly automobiles. The Continental Oil Company (CONOCO) used the end-loading capabilities for grease drums. The last car of the class was retired in 1974. This auto boxcar was donated to the Museum by the Continental Oil Company.

RI 506000 - Boxcar

Little is known about this boxcar. At one time, it was owned and operated by the CRI&P (Rock Island) RR, road number ROCK 506000. It was painted a sky-blue color. This boxcar was donated to the Oklahoma Railway Museum in 2014 by the HIS Paint Manufacturing Company of Oklahoma City, OK.

WCLX 2077 - Reefer

This 40-foot, ice bunker, refrigerator car is believed to have been used on the Wisconsin Central Car Lines. The car carries the logo of the Needham Packing Company, Inc., and was apparently used to transport meat products. It now houses the Museum's wood shop.

SANTA FE 48169 - Wooden boxcar

Little is known about this old wooden boxcar. It was probably built shortly after 1917 and operated by the ATSF RR as a Class BXX boxcar. It is missing its trucks.

SANTA FE - Wooden boxcar

Little is known about this old wooden boxcar. It was probably built shortly after 1917 and operated by the ATSF RR as a Class BXX boxcar. It is missing its trucks.

TANK CARS

 

CONEX 5259 - Tank car

Tank car, single dome. Built in May 1923. Donated to the ORM by the Continental Oil Company of Ponca City, OK.

CONEX 5272 - Tank car

Tank car, single-dome. Built in May 1923. Donated to the ORM by Continental Oil Company of Ponca City, OK.

CONEX 7211 - Tank car

Tank car, single-dome. Built by the American Car & Foundry Company in 1943. Type T-43. Donated to the ORM by the Continental Oil Company of Ponca City, OK. Capacity: 110,000 gal. Light Weight: 58,700 lbs.

CONEX 8903 - Tank car

Tank car, single-dome. Built in October 1965. TTC TX 11-77. Donated to the ORM by the Continental Oil Company of Ponca City, OK. Capacity: 140,000 gal. Light weight: 80,000 lbs.

FLAT CARS

  

UP 58259 - Flat car

This car was built in June of 1953. Builders No. Class F-70-12. It was rebuilt Sept. 1965. The previous owner was the Union Pacific RR. Before being donated to the Museum, this car was used as piggyback unloading ramp in the old Rock Island yard in downtown Oklahoma City. In 2003, it was modified by the Museum into a passenger-riding car.

OKRX 5051 - Flat car

This flat car was built in 1963. Previous owners: Quest Communications and the Southern Pacific Railroad No. 5051. Donated to the Museum by Bob Hussey.

OKRX 5053 - Flat car

This flat car was built in 1964. Previous owners: Quest Communications and the Southern Pacific Railroad No. 5053.